Whoaaa! The Service Pack 1 is available for Inventor 2011 products and install is much different than what we've seen in the past. I'd recommend reading it twice if you also use Vault.
Reading the Readme will save you a lot of time, headaches and money. Below is part of the Readme that is extremely important to understand.
Partial Inventor 2011 SP 1 Readme:
MUST READ - Notes About Installation
- Install only the bit-type version of Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1 that corresponds to the bit-type version of your installation of Autodesk Inventor 2011.
- If the Service Pack 1 Beta was installed previously, uninstall it before you install Service Pack 1. Otherwise, Service Pack 1 does not install correctly.
- In some cases, it is necessary to reload the Vault add-in after installing this Service Pack.
- With the release of Autodesk Vault 2011 Update 2, Vault and Remote Content users should update the server they access from their Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1 installations.
- During uninstallation of Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1, you are prompted to supply the original media from which Autodesk Inventor 2011 was originally installed.
NOTE: For Inventor Tooling 2011 and Inventor Professional 2011 users, uninstallation of this Service Pack 1 causes the Moldflow Add-in for Inventor Tooling to stop working. To return your Inventor Tooling 2011 or Inventor Professional 2011 installation to full operability after uninstallation, install the Moldflow Add-in for Inventor Tooling license hotfix and then reboot your machine.
- Verify you have administrator privileges on your local machine to install Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1.
- On Windows Vista and Windows 7 installations, disable the User Account Control feature.
- The 32-bit version of Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1 is approximately 57 MB in size. A minimum of 1300 MB of free disk space is required on the drive where your temporary files are directed.
- The 64-bit version of Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1 is approximately 91 MB in size. A minimum of 2000 MB of free disk space is required on the drive where your temporary files are directed.
To install Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1:
- Install Autodesk Inventor 2011 from one of the AutoCAD Inventor 2011 Suites, or from the Autodesk Inventor 2011 media set.
- Update your operating system before installing Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1, especially KB952696 for Vista. Reboot your system after the updates are installed.
- If you are running Windows Vista 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit, please verify that you have the Microsoft fix for user mode callback exceptions KB976038. This fix ensures that Autodesk receives the correct data from Inventor 2011 error reports. For more information, and access to this and related Microsoft downloads, refer to Autodesk Technical Solution 15492718.
- Download the appropriate version of Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1 (32-bit or 64-bit version) depending upon the bit type of your operating system.
- Double-click the .msp file to update Autodesk Inventor 2011 with Service Pack 1. A progress bar displays while the installer updates the files on your system. When done, click Finish.
- If required, reboot the system after this service pack installation is finished.
- If you install Inventor 2011 on Windows Vista or Windows 7, when you launch it for the first time after installing Autodesk Inventor 2011 Service Pack 1, right-click on the Inventor shortcut, and use "Run as administrator" if User Account Control (UAC) is enabled, or your current user is not an Administrator group.
To verify the installation was successful, start Autodesk Inventor. On the InfoCenter Help pulldown menu, select About Inventor. If the About box display reads: Build: 282, Release: 2011 SP1, the installation was successful.
To view the full Readme see:
Note: It has been reported to us that the Microsoft Hotfix (listed under the installation instructions in step 2) failed to install on some machines.